Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Unplanned vet visit

A few days ago I found a lump under Hudson's skin near where he received his shot for tapeworms, I didn't think anything of it since I know a small lump at he site of an injection is normal and usually goes away. Well over a time period of a few days this lump grew substantially in size and it seemed like every time I looked at him after not seeing him for a few hours, it had grown even bigger! We decided to go to the vet this afternoon since it was growing so fast. The vet eased our fear when he told us Hudson had developed a Seroma at the site of the injection. A seroma is a pocket of serous fluid (separated from the blood) caused by an insult to the skin of some sort, in his case the injection. They can also occur as a result of surgery. It will go away on it's own, we just have to watch for signs of infection. We were so relieved because of course I was thinking it was a tumor of some sort. On another happy note, Hudson now weighs 61.2 pounds, so he's gained just about 5 lbs which is a little less than 10% of his body weight. The vet was also impressed at how good his skin was looking. It's amazing how much me and Will have fallen in love with this boy in just 2.5 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad he's ok! Those emergency vet visits where you don't know what the diagnosis will be are very stressful! He is a handsome boy in your pictures so I'm sure he is as amazing in person as you say he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Thankfully our vet was still open and our vet didn't charge us for the visit!

    ReplyDelete